Climate Change - Carbon neutral plan
Aims & Objectives:
- To recognise the Government and KCC declarations for aiming for carbon neutrality
- To integrate this within the vision and throughout the neighbourhood Development plan (NDP) and within the Town Council's the general operation.
Updates & Comments:
- Consideration of an 'Environmental Committee' to create an action plan to review:reducing cars / traffic particularly in relation to school traffic.
- STC new builds to be as sustainable and Eco-friendly as possible. Existing buildings to be improved to be more sustainable with reduced carbon footprint where available.
- Include more tree planting on acceptable sites, with more emphasis on inclusion of fruit and nut trees in particular.
- Continue to promote 'Sevenoaks Refill' and 'Plastic-Free Sevenoaks' schemes to try and gain more supporters within the town & possibly spread word and ideas to neighbouring towns / villages.
- Attempt to fund and install more cycle racks in useful areas in the town, to try and promote and different mode of sustainable transport.
- Install more drinking fountains where possible at Town Council sites for health and sustainability purposes.
- Increased pedestrian & cyclist safety
- Northern Development Plan Transport Strategy, recommendations including 20mph speed limits to be enforced and for a one-way system to be put in place within the town centre and shared space.
- Link STC open Spaces together with 'Green Routes'
- Encourage increased use of public transport - buses and trains, by having improved facilities including live running information centres giving out systematic updates on routes and locations.
- Installation of electric car charging points at Town Council sites with vehicular access
- Consider enabling and promoting community initiatives for sustainable living e.g. Toy Library, Zero Waste Shops, Community gardens & orchards, Community Cycle Workshops, Repair Cafés and promotion of alternative resources for un-sustainable items.